Companies have goals sometimes we don’t even guess about, because of complex business strategies, fakes or trials, to hide any movement from competition. And sometimes they lose the real direction and how they build their global intent, in lean management, avoiding wastes and loss of times. In any company, at one time of their existence, grows some kind of “culture” that is written in gold by HR or in the basement times. As any individual, we all have cultural roots, more or less deep and recover it and bearing themselves in mind means a lot for history. But even if don’t look back, the simply shaping of “cultural lines” is quite interesting to speak as on voice and have all teams behind a common whole of values. This is called “cultural alignment”.
How to manage in such complex systems? It means managin several parts in the company and use outside inputs, as described in the below drawing:
- Talents management: know how to hire relevant talents, nurture them and hope they will grow themselves and grow their business. And hope one day they’ll go elsewhere (!), with everything they learnt to build another masterpiece. Not convinced? Think about Zappos who offers 3.000$ for people who want to leave company while they’re still in training and welcome period…A smart way to learn about limits and “real” motivation…and keep the goal on passion, values and real sense of delivering. The only purpose that counts, in competition…
- Innovation: “at any step of the growth, keeping in mind to stay innovator”. The only way to have an incredible footprint and grow a tremendous brand. And a windful of passion, leading to compete with hurdles, inside and outside the company. Somekind of super power that overcomes any willingness to succeed and make any employee a super hero. Catch it if you can, and set it up in the ordinary process of all teams. “Ask for the impossible, and make innovation do the rest”. Sometimes, dream is the reality as you believe in it. And the innovation passion is the essence of the next blue chip.
- Execution and deliverings: “without execution and deliverings, nothing exists”. No promess, no product, no customer, no brand. This is the sad story about all companies which spend their times in R&D, searching, describing and creating thing, products, services they will never handle to shape and deliver. It’s double truly sad, because no one will ever appreciate all efforts and attention…through execution, accuracy for details and delivering to end using. In my opinion, one of the most important part of any process, that shapes the user’s experience and makes it buzz everywhere.
- Customer insights: if it’s still to prove for you, your customers will leave you, feeling alone with no particular relation but money with you. Figure out they have bright ideas, know probably your market and products more than you, and can give you a smart view of a “strategy”, dealing with a simplicity you dream of.
- Business strategy: you can call it a game, but believe in something reliable, explainable, sharable and scalable. Doing this, you start in the whole business strategy process, and begin to build and organize departments, flows and process to hold the whole structure of the economic equation. You’ll have to describe, believe and inhold a frame for business, exclusive, bright and envied features. One that can be adored by your shareholders and converge all partners toward your company. And sometimes a smart move can transform a whole ecosystem, with your innovation. “Be the one others will follow and make a business case in the world”.
- Imagination: “we all miss a lot of imagination, in everything we do”. We don’t miss ideas, motivation of skills, but imagination. The sole part of our brain we rarely train, because of time, laziness or easiness. In fact, look at children or young at work: they’re not perverted yet with failures, fear or politics. They do “essence” and genuine art of business, trying to solve their first puzzle. They answer with truth, heart and logics, just for the game, and not for the money yet.
Getting the best of the whole organization, from align business to innovation with a cultural support for this same innovation. Having all these elements together make a war machine and awesome bottom line result for an enhanced efficiency. Be blue, think out of the box, protect and defend your assets and brand, but also, nurse your culture and make it happen in all the simple key elements of your whole company. Grow it, make it sustainable and keep your startup spirit, push away the limits and have a incredible faith for the impossible. Dare the cutting-edge organization and handle it with team and process. The more cultural and mixed is your approach, the more it will win all your stakeholders: employees, partners, customers and shareholders. But the battle is to do with sensibility, the culture sensibility…