Leave your old TV device, don’t trust it anymore, as the colour times, and more recently, HD times, there’s a new revolution out there : social voice. I tried therefore, times ago, to demonstrate some changes in TV world, and gave some points of view of what was our holy toy, in such social fields, and I must be right now in front of no way path : what build TV today, in these times with such collaborative initiates ? Is there any time anymore for journalism or are we all, some of them ? what can make the difference between speaks on great major channels, and individual advises, thoughts and comments ?
That it is, the way we arrived now.
Yes it did. The crowd of information, people thoughts, social revolution of ideas, tumbled down all we taught about value circle in TV world. How ?
TV’s interest is about entertainment, information, direct live, and represent anything but having a window on the world, live, without any move from your sofa. But nowadays, and since many years, Web makes it better. Why ?
Because we’re fed up spending too much time, wasting hours in front of TV soaps and nut stuffs, and we find so much infinite possibilities on web, enforced by 2.0 apps, and supported by many communities. God gave us speaking abilities (and writing too). But TV say “no, we don’t need to, just sit down, shut-up, look and listen…”. And web 2.0 gave us the rules booklet to use words.
How did the web lead the main changes on actual TV ?
Before : there was one channel, in black and white, everybody was looking the same things, and no hope for conversation and two ways relation ; a one to all market !
Then, technologies appeared : colors, high definition, digital, sound, time delay and shifting devices ; thousands of channels, for a one to many market, but with broadcast limits : the even new ways of broadcasting (digital terrestrial, satellite, or DSL/cable), can’t lead to the royal state : one to one channel, private channel that I’m the program controler, and decide myself WHAT and WHEN, I’m gonna look.
Now, Web (first tech, then uses) entered the dance, and recently 2.0 fields. What changed ?
1) technology : with DSL access, you can build your own network (friends, pictures, video…), that can be compared to “my web” ; as if the web was divided by numbers of users, and each user could easily create its own ; and the story of Web3.0, leading you to personal networks (beyond personal contents), starts to see some “UG Networks”
2) contents : UGC ; great or bad world…
– great for creation and enrichment of freedom and abilities ; a new field of playing with your neighbours, without knowing him yet, leveraging the individual potentials (musicians, writers…)
– bad for piracy, because, nothing ever belongs to no one ; or must I say, people think they can take, copy everything on their own without paying anything ; some music bands have given up hope of making money with their music, and win money on concerts and shows… ; and you find in several places in dark places on the web, movies that are not on screen yet…especially in DivX form ; who owns what ?
– contents on the web are growing faster than TV ones ; because of costs, probably, and profusion of new 2.0 applications every day, that adds cleverness to others existing yet : feeds, multi-posting, mobile/live (see for example twitterfone, for saving time spent on writing…)
3) use : PC screen (and mobile devices) replaced TV one
– as you can do anything from mobile device (PDA, phones, PC…), you can watch “a kind of TV”, chosing between TV live, Video on Demand, Catchup TV, downloading…Vlog, Blogs and so long ; it’s like the cake is always the same size, but several eaters entered to share it…leading each piece fewer…
– time : we don’t live right now, how we did twenty years ago. “At a time, a use” ; success of recording and time-shifting is growing ; but don’t solve anything in your “part of time”, of entertainment. See a post really fun about it on confused of calcutta’s JP Rangaswami there. When you’re tied within a time, you make your own choices and refuse to be under influence of classical TV ; you make your own, watching social web. Personnay, although I worked on it several years, I understand the escape of time toward the web…Less you have time, more your choice is accurate
4) last but not least, freeness…To get TV contents with value (actual, blockbusters, or live sports…) you paid the high price…And when you already paid the device, the service (VoIP, Web access…), how much money stay in your wallet…?
Welcome to kind UGC’ers, and the infinite land of creation. And for ones who wait for their awards, they can anyway enter in Second Life to get a virtual one…;-)