In fact, there’s a growing revolution inside. The most weird thing is that it comes from where raw materials are scarce, the opposant scary and no means. The initial innovation, consuming and wasting capital and buried in pyramidal and lone structures could play its last chance. “Jugaad”, that means “breakthrough growth” or “coping with innovation” in Hindi plays a new role for innovation. More flexible, open and simple. Something to reboot ourselves and renew true mindset, to give hope to despair mass and create a ongoing movement to new creation.
Jugaad Innovation is defined around 6 principles, where collaborative thinking and acting are king:
- Search for opportunities in adversity: most of the times, any company gives up facing adversity or difficulty, because of wasting time, money or fearing of failure. We all prefer comfort zones to risk. Then comes Juggad that draws energy and interest from adversity and resistance. Jugaad brings pride, energy and passion to overcome the obstacle. Learn to deal with adversity is one of the keys of Jugaad Innovators, like a new innovation mindset.
- Do more with less: we may soon live with less. Less raw materials, less growth, less employment, less time…It’s now time to do more with less, re-use things designing them differently. Reinvent different uses and reinvent ourselves. Think for example to use wastes for others capabilities, without being obliged to recycle them. When you live all days with adversity and obstacles, you quickly find solutions with simple existant stuffs. We use to rethink many ways we do and reprocess simply. When tough times are, we must find economic solutions, and the Jugaad method may be relevant and sustainable…to stay ahead of competition
- Think and act in a more flexible way: big companies organize themselves with hard and complex structures of R&D in long term process that don’t faciltate short term and simple reactions. They don’t (can’t) think flexible way. They keep things complex because they forgot how to think simple. they ignore low cost solutions because they think high value, with large margins. They simply forget customer centric solutions offering complex R&D outputs, outputs that customer don’t want anymore. Cycles get longer, heavy processing, heavier than ever. Capital and resources expenses explode and innovation is not obvious but struggled into secrecy, keeping the cover on patents. This is outpast in the collaborative mindset we live in now. With Jugaad and its ongoing and lean process. that can’t work anymore. Innovation must catch all the few opportunities with few and simple attitudes. The mindset centric thinking and action are mixed into a twirling process, that evolves simply with the single needs of consumer. What has to be created is only what has to be consumed.
(c) from the cover of book “Jugaad Innovation”.
- Target simplicity: never forget “keep it shortly simple”. It seems so obvious for Jugaad mindset, even if make simple is in fact complex. The hardline is that rebuild something from a complex base is really hard, so when you think Jugaad, you start from nothing. You can be light, efficient and straight to the point. Something that big companies forgot, while they keep secrecy on their R&D and innovatios plans. It’s the art of secret and the obsession for technologies or complex buildings with over engineering. Focus on the pure need, focus on value for customer not for company is the only true way to simplicity. The Jugaad process allows the direct thinking to direct needs. Meeting with daily problems, finding daily solutions, directly useful. The direct response for smart innovation.
- Inclusive innovation: Through structure itself, because of resources consumption and innovation heaviness, the mainstream innovation is mainly for “mass market”, simply because companies couldn’t balance huge R&D expenses with poor markets. Innovation is rarely for disabled people while it could change their life and build a whole story for them. Bringing innovation in middle-class draws wastes and add only a marginal output. It’s a shamy situation where digital fence exists and all efforts might be to reduce it and build a fair world for all. Next to this, the experimentations from “bottom of the pyramid” ou BOP, showed interesting outputs but underlined the limits of “poor segments”: double sentence. As they already have “nothing” the price paid for each single unit is far more expensive than in normal markets. That’s where Jugaad is really different is that solutions are not built by huge companies but by and for local and isolated people. A kind of ABC for exclusion and the ability to include them. The inclusive innovation.
- Follow heart power and tuition: the notion I prefer far from all others, put some passion and heart in process thinking, doing only what people need and not what he desires. This is one of the great lessons for example, leading to extreme simplification for use and not for engineers’ pride. Focus on needs, engage with local communities, friend with them, learn their daily life is more efficient than any business process or school. Spending time on few essentials lead to main outputs. Don’t forget Steve Jobs who never ever asked anything to a customer, no need to inspire and build what he did. Only his tuitions and faith in design, experience and simplification seemed to draw his whole life. Heart and passion nurture the whole fuel for action, leadong to Jugaad inspire. We may all take the path…
A true and strong revolution, I’m convinced. The one in centuries, beyond fashion and cycles. Maybe there’s already a Jugaad innovator close to you. Neighbour. Travel encountering. Someone valuable for sure. Someone to meet, share and learn from. Respect, Recycle and Reboot. Time to (re)use what we have and (re)invent everything we have, differently. It’s a matter of inclusion, hope and innovation.
Jugaad, our inclusive future, shared with passion.
See: “Jugaad Innovation”. “Passion with no, limit” and THE book. Enlighting the subject with pics ; Reena Jana’s thoughts about it
Posted in Design, economics, innovation, management, strategy | Tagged BOP, concepts, flexible, innovation, jugaad, lean, new, smart, startups | Leave a Comment »
You probably dream about a quiet place, a rest moment where you can muse and think about ideas, with no necessary goal. Or you would probably have some time, efficient time without being disturbed. No glory, fair enough, just simple life, we forgot. The fact is that, today, too many screens with interactive propositions that blink all over the day, make us fragile, distracted and less efficient. Times have changed, but not obviously for the single “better” side. We used to spend time, having time to discover, doubt, try while we are now, just interrupted, all over each single day. Is it this kind of life we need, want, desire to recover the ability to make good choices? Disturbed we are, troubled with no “cold time” to think deeply or work without being dissipated by ongoing commercials, “friends” requests or redundant news.
Oh I see and know what kind of subject I’m talking about. You probably didn’t have yet the conscient and awareness of it, but we’re immerged with digital signals, that we can’t deal with. Too many messages, too many occurencies, too many interruptions: and that’s the way you work more stressed, losing time anytime you’re disturbed, getting more and more difficulty to work efficiently with business matters, all along without being ongoing interrupted. That’s the sad way of “mainstream information”, a kind of flow you can’t stop and sort of, because it’s now to the reader to make his own opinion about contents and what he can stare at. That’s the bottomline of any “UGC”, where the reference is maybe hard to find and to believe. Can we believe all we receive? Can we trust anyone who “says”? And without even talking about the relevance of information, it’s about the whole “mass”, that flows on and on, every day.
We’re now living in a “microspaces” of times where we can spot, snap and do every little pieces of actions, like medias but like recipients too, where we swallow lots of datas…be careful to digest it!
Finally we could say that “interruption draws creativity, flexibility and curiousity”. So, our brain has just to “teach how to deal with it, like darwinism theory for survivance”. The fact is that no one can really say actually, if there’s a strong progress doing this or in the long term an inefficiancy driving business and modern work to a major change. May we dream of an enjoyable “empty space” soon, maybe not. Up to you, to suffer daily this pollution or change your behavior. Healthier, simplier searching for “better”, more than “more”. Remember it’s worthier to “be”, than to “have”…
Any experience so far, before burning out? Share it quickly…
Posted in General, humour, Influence, information, Technology | Tagged always wired, connected, link, plugged, smatphones, unplugged, wired | Leave a Comment »